Home 1289 N. 2nd St., Abilene, Texas 79601
12th Armored Division Message Board
register | search | profile
12th Armored Division >> General Discussion >> Information about Roger G Bissmeyer KIA in Germany with 494th Field Artillery
4 posts total   
Author Topic:  Information about Roger G Bissmeyer KIA in Germany with 494th Field Artillery
Roger J Bissmeyer
Junior Member
Member # 249

Posts: 1
From: dublin, Ohio
Registered: 10/13/2007
posted 10/13/2007 1:01:11 AM    Click here to view the profile for Roger J Bissmeyer  Click here to email Roger J Bissmeyer  edit/delete post  Reply w/Quote
I am very interested in finding out any information about my uncle, Roger G Bissmeyer. I believe he was shot by a sniper when he left his tank to check a bridge for mines, etc.

Junior Member
Member # 16

Posts: 1100
From: University at Buffalo (NY)
Registered: 6/1/2004
posted 10/14/2007 9:59:32 AM    Click here to view the profile for MikeWoldenberg  Click here to email MikeWoldenberg  edit/delete post  Reply w/Quote
Dear Roger, I checked the list of 17,000 Members and somehow he was not included on that list. This happened from time to time. He is listed on the list of KIA for the 494th Field Artillery. (See the buttons on the left).
As a first step, please contact Ted Glogovac, the Unit Representative who will put a notice in the Hellcat News. You might ask him for a copy of the Roster and you can write a mass mailing. (It would be easier if you knew which Battery (Company) your uncle belonged to.

Ted's email address: ted.glogovac@jeppesen.com
(408) 499-0188

Yours truly, Mike Woldenberg

Ken K Legacy Member
Junior Member
Member # 214

Posts: 57
From: NH
Registered: 3/29/2007
posted 10/17/2007 7:46:27 AM    Click here to view the profile for Ken K Legacy Member  Click here to email Ken K Legacy Member  edit/delete post  Reply w/Quote
In 1973 all WW2 U.S. Army veterans’ records were destroyed in a National Archives warehouse fire. These records were never duplicated, leaving a massive void in our history. Ironically, there are records of those killed in action, maintained by the Department Of The Army and the Department Of Veterans Affairs.

What the records contain and do not contain. The Department Of The Army records are titled Individual Deceased Personnel File [IDPF], and as the title states, it is the death record of a veteran. I have my uncle’s file; he was killed at Steinwald Forrest January 16, 1945. His file is 37 pages, covering the date he was declared dead, his personal effects, and his initial and final internment at Epinal Cemetery, France, letters between his parents and the War Department, referencing life insurance payments, and returning his remains to the family for burial. In addition, documents which describe his fatal wounds, and some of his awards The IDPF is not gruesome to read, but is emotionally stressful.

How to obtain the IDPF; write to The Dept of The Army, U.S. Army Human Resources Command, 200 Stovall Street, Alexandra, VA 22332-400. Since these records fall under the freedom of information act [FOIA] you must state your relationship to the deceased. Include you are the oldest child, is his wife still living or not etc. Your loved one’s ASN, if you don’t have it, contact me. His DOB, hometown, and any other data you have. I suggest you send your request via certified mail, return receipt. The request will take at least a year before you get the record, but are worth the wait.

Next is the Dept of VA. Easier and faster than the IDPF, these records will contain medical records, life insurance applications, birth certificates, correspondence between his parents and the VA. My uncle’s record contains 44 pages.

As required by the IDPF, this record falls under the FOIA, use the same letter you used for the IDPF and the same data about your loved one. The file I have, has no name, but is designated by a series of reference numbers, 373/21/mal and XC 3 867 481. I am sure one of these refers to my uncle’s file and the other is the designation for the VA as to what record category you are requesting. Feel free to use this data to describe your request to the VA.

Next look up the 800 number for the VA, one number serves the entire U.S., when dialed it will route you to your closest VA office. Explain what you want. These records are held in a central depository located in or near your dad’s home state. When I went through the process, the VA located my uncle’s record within a minute or two. At that point request the record be sent to your local VA [the one you called] office. They will notify you by mail when it arrives, and the arrangements for copying. I think the whole process took less than a month.

If you have questions just ask.

Ken / Legacy Director


posted 6/10/2018 9:25:04 PM  Reply w/Quote
This is a very old post, but if you get this, someone is offering for sale on the WWII Flea Market page on Facebook a funeral pamphlet along with research related to Lt. Bissmeyer's death and silver star citation.